North Sealand was for many years “the playground” of the Danish kings. Therefore you will find some beautiful castles.
1. Frederiksborg Castle, built in magnificent Renaissance style with a touch of baroque.
2. The Royal Family’s summer residence Fredensborg Castle attractively located in the middle of a lovely park, surrounded by the idyllic Esrum Lake.
Frederiksborg Castle was built in a magnificent Renaissance style with a touch of baroque as a royal residence for King Christian IV.
Today it is a museum of national history. The castle is located on three small islands in the middle of the Castle Lake (Slotsøen) and is adjoined by a large formal garden in the Baroque style.
Based at one of North Sealand’s beautiful seaside hotels or wellness hotels, a Dessert Weekend can be put together just as you and your girlfriends want it.
The “My castle, my retreat” route takes you past all the must-sees in the area. You will come face to face with the cultural heritage of the area as you learn all about the dramatic history of its castles. You will be seduced by modern art and culture of high quality, and visit architectural gems that contain the very soul of the best in Danish architecture.
Set off on a “back to basics” trip and taste true Nordic cooking. Many of the ingredients used in Nordic cuisine can be found on the beaches and in the forests of Royal North Sealand. Birch Syrup, sea buckthorn berries and wild garlic capers are just some of the delicacies the area has to offer.
The evenings are still long and light, the temperature warm, and calm has once again descended, now that most of the tourists have returned to their everyday lives. Throughout history, North Sealand has been a royal retreat and playground with time for pampering. And the retreat and pampering are still here today!
A walking holiday is the perfect opportunity to allow yourself the time to take stock, to find a balance, time to take a break, slow things right down and enjoy things for what they really are.
• Fredensborg Vandrerhjem (Danhostel Fredensborg) is a good, family-friendly hostel, centrally located near the spring and autumn residence of the Danish Royal Family.
But the adventure is no longer the reserve of the royals. Now you can also come behind the castle walls, and gain a unique insight into the dramatic history of the castles and participate in a host of exciting events. On this tour, you will encounter art and culture of high quality. You will be taken past all the must-sees of the area and enjoy a few unforgettable days in Royal North Sealand, where you will see and experience the history, culture and cuisine as never before!
Approx. 38 km
• Arrival at Hotel & Casino Marienlyst, a 4-star hotel located right on Øresund Sound with beautiful views of Kronborg and walking distance from the old town of Elsinore.
• Restaurant Sletten is located at the idyllic Sletten Harbour and is owned by the chefs behind the Michelin starred Restauranten Formel B in Copenhagen. You enjoy your dinner here.
The days are also filled with great art, but of the more modern kind, when you visit the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. Housing over 3,000 works, the museum’s permanent collection is one of the largest and most fascinating collections in Scandinavia. And set in some of today’s most fascinating architecture and beautiful green surroundings, your visit will be an experience worth lingering over.
The history is not just stories, but also experiences. Experiences based on the thoughts about pilgrimages back then, brought right up to date. As the need for reflection is common to all people and eternal. And the natural and cultural landscape in Royal North Sealand provides the perfect setting for reflection, with its intimacy and the joy of life.
• Arrival in Elsinore.
• The Carmelite Monastery, the old medieval town of Elsinore, Kronborg Castle.
• Overnight stay at Helsingør Camping, which has some lovely little cabins directly overlooking the Øresund Sound.
• Dinner at La Dolce Vita – a lovely Italian restaurant in Elsinore old town.
• Your break starts in the old medieval town of Elsinore. You will be staying at Hotel Madam Sprunck, which is located in the charming old historic town, close to the railway station, harbour, pedestrian shopping streets – and within walking distance of Kulturværftet (the Culture Yard) and Kronborg Castle.
• Visit the Danish Maritime Museum in the afternoon and feel the presence of history as you enjoy a café latte at the café.
Your active holiday is planned to include a number of specific activities. But the plan is also flexible, so you can pick and choose what you want to do, and tailor your own holiday.
This programme is therefore a suggestion or a framework for how your stay and exercise in North Sealand might look.
• 17:00 Check into shared double rooms in Hotel Hillerød, located in the heart of beautiful and historical North Sealand. You will be served tea and a delicious dessert.
• Your evening meal will be at Italian restaurant Castello Rufo Ruffo in Hillerød, accompanied by music.