One of “Denmark´s Industry Commemoration sites” designated by the Danish Ministry of Culture. In 1717, Frederik IV decided that a canal should be dug to divert water from Arresø. Today, the canal flows gently though Frederiksværk, giving the town a particular charm. The many well-preserved old buildings along the canal create a beautiful link between the past and the present.
The Gjethus is built in 1761-1769 by General Classen and was a cannon foundry until 1928. The Gjethus is now art- and culture centre with theater, music and art exibitions. The café is open weekdays 10.00-16.00. Saturdays 10.00-13.00.