In 1772, two coal-fired lighthouses were erected at Nakkehoved. The intention was to offer southbound shipping fixed points that would prevent ships from going aground on the treacherous north coast. Nakkehoved Østre Fyr is one of the very few coal-fired lighthouses still preserved in the world.
In 2005 the Western Lighthouse opened as Museum of International Lighthouse History. From the top of the tower, there is a magnificent view to Øresund, Kattegat and inland to GribSkov.
Children up to 18 years old free admittance.