Facts of Sankt Helene Centre
Sankt Helene was built in 1991 around the former country estate Vieholmgård on 12 hectares. The history of the farm dates back to 1894, long before the tourists really found their way to Tisvildeleje's good beaches and the beautiful Tisvilde Hegn.
The centre arose from the idea of replacing the old hostel in Tisvilde, but grew large and became from the beginning the holiday and course centre it is today. With support from Arbejdsmarkedets Feriefond with a loan of approx. Sixty million Sankt Helene was able to open its doors with 40 rooms, 25-holiday apartments and 28-holiday cabins.
Over the years, Saint Helene has had many regulars, groups or holidaymakers who come again and again.
In Sweden, a holy woman lived out in the woods. In her loneliness, she was assaulted, killed and thrown into the sea. On a rock, her body sailed over to Sealand and landed under a cliff. When she was found here, one could not carry her body up the steep slope of the ridge. But the cliff burst so one could walk up into the field. Where the body was first laid, a spring sprang up. The body was to be taken to Tisvilde Cemetery.
However, when the bearers cursed and spoke ugly along the way, the stretcher became so heavy that they could not carry it, and it sank deep into the ground. The place is called Helene's Tomb, close to St. Helene, and was built as a chapel in the 15th century.